Fort Norfolk History - 1854 Changes
The magazine and the keeper's house were not the only construction projects that the U.S. Navy undertook at Fort Norfolk in the 1850s. Two of the old fort buildings were refurbished for use as part of the storage facility. The old officers' quarters was used for "filling and storing shells" and the barracks to the south of the magazine "for filling powder tanks" (BY&D, Annual Reports, 1857-1858, Report of T. A. Domin, June 30,1856). In September 1854, the Bureau of Ordnance produced plans of the proposed alterations on both buildings (Bureau of Ordnance 1854) (see above and below).
Back, Before 1794, 1794, More before 1794, More 1794, First Fort, 1795, 1796-1800, 1801-1806, 1807, 1808-1811, 1812, 1813, 1813-1814, 1816, 1817-1818, 1820-1821, 1824, 1835, 1842-1844, 1845, 1849, 1851, 1852, 1853, 1854, 1854 Keeper's House, 1854 Changes, 1858, 1859, 1861, 1862, 1864, 1875, 1884, 1893, 1903, 1923, Next
Source of Information
A CULTURAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT PLAN OF FORT NORFOLK, NORFOLK, VIRGINIA prepared for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Norfolk District by the College Of WILLIAM & MARY, November 1995 under Contract No. DACW65-94-Q-0075.
David A. Clary's Fortress America: The Corps of Engineers, Hampton Roads, and United States Coastal Defense (1990)
William Bradshaw and Julian Tompkins's Fort Norfolk, Then and Now (n.d.).
The Norfolk Public Library vertical file of recent newspaper articles on Fort Norfolk. Including articles by James Melchor of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers that describe archaeological and architectural findings on the fort property.